This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Friday, January 14, 2011

Resolutions

Lectionary: 309
Reading 1
Responsorial Psalm
Gospel
Servant of God, John the Gardener

"Let us be on our guard while the promise of entering into his rest remains, that none of you seem to have failed."
What a perfect scripture for the second week of January. Many of us make resolutions for the new year, and already, many of us are starting to lose our resolve. The writer of the letter reminds us to keep our resolve and not fall into old habits so that we may enter God's rest. 
One more thing: Who could use a nap? I know I could!! The thought of entering God's rest sounds so wonderful. On the seventh day He rested and He invites each of us to rest with Him eternally in heaven. You may have heard the old saying, "There's plenty of time for sleep when I'm dead." Well, the adage bears true. There is an eternity of rest in God awaiting me. Right now, I have to stay focussed on doing the work he sent me here to do - mothering these precious children! 
Prayer: Father in heaven, I look forward to resting with you in eternity. While I am here on earth, give me the energy and stamina to do your work. When mothering wears me out, send me a renewed spirit so that I am able to parent my children as you wish me to. I ask this in the name of your son, Jesus. Amen. John the Gardener, pray for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment