This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A helping hand.

Lectionary: 313
Reading 1
Responsorial Psalm
Gospel
St. Fabian

In today's Gospel, Jesus is angered and probably a little amazed at the hardness of the hearts of the Pharisees. Jesus is so filled with compassion for this man, that he can't help himself. He HAS to cure him even though he knows it will be the beginning of the end of his life.
One more thing: Compassion and context are two things that I have to include in my parenting. If I am  legalistic like the Pharisees, then my kids don't have a chance because my expectations can never fall below perfection. My job is to teach them. I need to evaluate their behavior based on their maturity and moral compass. Sometimes children do things out of innocence or ignorance. Sometimes, they know a behavior is wrong but choose to do it anyway. It's my job to discern which of the two dynamics is at play.
Prayer: Lord Jesus, give me a heart filled with compassion for my children. Help me to love them overwhelmingly and parent them with grace and forgiveness. In your precious name I pray, Amen. St. Fabian, pray for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment