This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

High horse.

Lectionary: 519
Reading 1
Responsorial Psalm
Gospel
The Conversion of St. Paul

Paul really got knocked of his high horse by the Lord. The thing about Paul is he thought he was doing the right thing. He was a devout man who was respected in his faith. He was trying to be the best Jew he could be, but Christ had much more planned for him.
One more thing: Ever feel like Christ gives you a swift kick in the pants? Especially when it comes to parenting? Friday and Monday's gospel were about being counter-cultural and not worrying about what people think. But today, we find Jesus giving some serious path correction. He does that for me when I get too pious. Like when I think I have this parenting thing all figured out and pass judgement about someone's lack of control over her kids. I can almost bet that the next time I'm in the grocery store my little one will through a tantrum, or one of my teens will bring home a failing grade. Just like Paul, I think I'm doing my best, but Christ challenges me to be even better!
Prayer: Lord Jesus, forgive me when I persecute you by hurting others! Thank you for always showing me the way to you when I take a detour. Help me to keep my focus on eternal life with you. In your precious name I pray, Amen. St. Paul, pray for us.

2 comments:

  1. Ah yes, lessons in humility. It is such a difficult virtue to obtain. It's so tempting to prop ourselves up and the secular world adds to the pressure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true. Any time we start deluding ourselves by thinking we have it all together, God gently (or not so gently) reminds us that the truth is otherwise. Nice blog!

    ReplyDelete