This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Monday, January 17, 2011

Priest.

Lectionary: 311
Reading 1
Responsorial Psalm
Gospel
St. Anthony, abbot

"Every high priest is taken from among men and made their representative before God,"
The letter to the Hebrews makes it clear that priests aren't anything other than humans like you and me. They aren't perfect and they battle their weaknesses in the same way we do. This particular letter is interesting when taken in the context of the past week's message of "the call". 
One more thing: If God calls men to the priesthood, despite their weaknesses, then that gives me hope for my own vocation of motherhood. The key to becoming a 'perfect priest' like Christ is to have the obedience of Christ. I must learn to obey and follow the path God calls me to. Despite the distractions and temptations in this life (hmmm, some of mine are facebook, vanity, material things), I must keep myself focused on the job God calls me to do: being a mom and parenting these precious children. 
Prayer: Father in heaven, thank you for calling me to the vocation of motherhood. I give you my life; help me to live it fulfilling this vocation in the way you most desire. In the name of the perfect high priest, your son Jesus, I pray. Amen. St. Anthony, pray for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment