This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Call me crazy.

Lectionary: 316
Reading 1
Responsorial Psalm
Gospel
St. Vincent

Jesus' friends and family think he is out of his mind. If you read the entire passage, what follows is Jesus' explanation of why he is not crazy or of the devil. His miracles and public ministry were so new and amazing, people were scared. He didn't conform with the societal norms. His words and deeds were 'outside the box'. He was different.
One more thing: When you are different, you call attention to yourself. Do you ever feel you come under criticism for trying to raise your family with Christian values? Are you accused of being a 'fuddy-duddy' mom because you don't let your children listen to today's music or dress like a rock star? Does your own family call you crazy? Jesus knows how that feels. Nobody's opinion was going to change Jesus. He had to answer to God the Father for his actions, and so do I. So when I feel a little 'different', I just remember I'm in good company!
Prayer: Heavenly Father, help me to always be faithful to you and your calling, no matter what people think. Give me the strength and courage to live a life for you. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen. St. Vincent, pray for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment