This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Rooftops.

Lectionary: 181
Reading 1
Responsorial Psalm
Gospel
St. Nicholas

In today's gospel, the determined friends of the paralytic let nothing stand in the way between them and Jesus. I've worked with paralytics and I know that moving them from a bed to a chair is a lot of work. I can only imagine what it took to get him up on that roof.
One more thing: Determination and faith enabled several friends to bust through a crowd and hoist a paralyzed man on to a roof. Do I have that much determination to spend time with Christ? Do I have faith that my time with him will result in my sins being forgiven and being able to walk with freedom again? The things that I let stand in the way of spending time with Jesus are so much smaller than rooftops. I do know that when I spend time in prayer and reading the scripture, I walk with him beside me and I become a better mother. During Advent, I resolve not to let the trappings of the holidays interfere with my time with the Lord.
Prayer: Lord Jesus, I want to be with you. Help me to overcome the little obstacles that get in my way each day. Heal me so that I may walk in the light, with you at my side, and mother my children the way you want me to. In your name I pray, Amen. St. Nicholas, pray for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment