This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Helping hands.

Lectionary: 180
Reading 1
Responsorial Psalm
Gospel
St. John Damascene

In the season of Advent we are waiting, much like the Israelites of old. The vision that Isaiah gives of a savior who will heal all our wounds and be our helper is a reality for those of us who know Christ.
One more thing: In today's gospel Jesus gets some help. Sure, he could have saved the world and spread the gospel on his own, but he enlisted the help of others. I've got lots of big jobs coming up this holiday season. I often make the mistake of trying to be super mom and get them all done myself. All I end up doing is getting stressed and not being the mom I know Christ wants me to be. I need to follow Jesus' example and ask for help. I don't have to do it all by myself. Even Jesus got a little help!
Prayer: Lord Jesus, thank you for the helping hands in my life. Give me the humility to ask for help during the holidays. Let me be open to allowing others, especially my children, to help me. Through my own service to others, let me remember the meaning of this season. In your name I pray, Amen. St. John, pray for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment