This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Hear ye, hear ye.

Lectionary: 184
Reading 1
Responsorial Psalm
Gospel
St. Juan Diego

It always gets my attention when Jesus says, "Whoever has ears ought to hear." It's like when a teacher tells the class, "Write this down, it WILL be on the test." Jesus advises those around him to listen to John the Baptist. John's message is the heralding of a Messiah. He is making the way for the savior.
One more thing: We are waiting during Advent, just like the followers of John the Baptist. In today's gospel we find the savior himself sending us a message of the salvation which is to come. This Advent season has more of a time of waiting and anticipation than any other. A few days ago when we opened our box of Christmas ornaments and decorations, we found 8 inches of water in the box. Everything was wet and covered with mold. All the kids' handmade ornaments, the hand stitched stockings...everything. Now our tree sits practically bare. I rather like it. It gives us a feeling of waiting, of anticipation. Sure, we can buy new ornaments, but I think we will just wait it out this year and spend the holiday making simple things to decorate the tree. One small event has focused our attention on the coming Messiah.
Prayer: Lord Jesus, I eagerly await your coming to us as the infant in the manger. Help me to foster this anticipation and eagerness for you in the hearts of my children. In your name I pray, Amen. St. Juan Diego, pray for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment