This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Actions speak louder.

Lectionary: 188
Reading 1
Responsorial Psalm
Gospel
St. John of the Cross

Don't you just love today's Gospel? Jesus had such insight into human nature and family dynamics. There's the one child who refused the parental request but did it anyway. Then there's the one who gave lip-service and ignored the request. Jesus tells us that our actions speak louder than our words!
One more thing: Jesus gives me a little parenting nugget in today's gospel. In the family dynamic, there is always one child who is a little mouthy. They are the child who verbally pushes back against parental commands and likes to cause a big scene. Jesus gives me insight today to pay closer attention to the behavior than the noise. It may be easier to overlook the lack of obedience in the child who is verbally less challenging. However, that child's heart may be in more danger.
Prayer: Dear Jesus, forgive me when I am all talk. Help me to live out my words in my actions. Give me the wisdom to parent with compassion and grace. In your precious name I pray, Amen. St. John of the Cross, pray for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment