This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Friday, December 10, 2010

Family.

Lectionary: 185
Reading 1
Responsorial Psalm
Gospel
Blessed Adolph Kopling


”Father Kolping once said, “The first thing that a person finds in life and the last to which he holds out his hand, and the most precious that he possess, even if he does not realize it, is family life.”
One more thing: In today's first reading, Isaiah likens prosperity to having many descendants. Family is what makes a person wealthy, not material goods. How do I have a family that is a blessing to me? "Harken to my commandments." Wow, when I'm frustrated with my family dynamics, this reading reminds me to look at my own behavior. If the kids are fighting and being difficult, am I doing all I can to live as I should? Father Kolping ministered to urban factory workers in the 1800's and one of the things he emphasized was the sanctity of family life. If I follow the Lord in the way I should go, then I will be blessed by my domestic church! 
Prayer: Lord Jesus, thank you for the blessing of my family! Help me to follow your commands so that my descendants will never be blotted from your presence. In your name I pray, Amen. Blessed Adolph Kopling, pray for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment