This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Black sheep.

Lectionary: 182
Reading 1
Responsorial Psalm
Gospel
St. Ambrose

Jesus tells us in today's gospel, that finding the lost lamb is a greater gift than the whole herd. That's how much he loves each and every one of us!
One more thing: Seems like the black sheep is always getting the attention. Call them the prodigal son, the squeaky wheel, or the wayward daughter. When they come back to the fold everyone rejoices. As a parent now, I have a better understanding of Jesus' position. Each of my children, at one time or another, have needed greater attention than the others. I often feel bad for spending so much time taking care of one, but when the illness is over or the grades are back up, I do rejoice! Jesus does the same for me when I wander away from him. Whatever it is that distracts me, he gently nudges me back to the Church and angels sing when I am back on the straight and narrow. Advent is a perfect season for reconciliation. If you haven't been in a while, come on back to the herd! Everyone will rejoice to see you!
Prayer: Lord Jesus, thank you for shepherding me toward eternal life with you! Help me to find my way back to you when I stray. Help me to lead my children to follow you. In your name I pray, Amen. St. Ambrose, pray for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment