This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Friday, July 30, 2010

Outcast.

Lectionary: 405
Reading 1
Responsorial Psalm
Gospel
St. Peter Chrysologus

"I have become an outcast to my brothers, a stranger to my mother's sons." Perhaps you feel that way too at family gatherings. When you pray before a meal with your children, or insist on going to church on Sunday while on a family vacation. Even Jesus himself was rejected by his own people.
One more thing: Jesus knows what rejection feels like. He knows what hurt, embarrassment, or even shame as the psalmist tells us, you may endure because of him. Things seem to hurt worse when it comes from family. Remember that your family relationships are not as important as your relationship with Christ and the example you set for your children. So as you travel and visit family with the kids this summer, stay fast to your convictions, beliefs, and traditions, no matter what the relatives say.
Prayer: Lord, in your great love, answer me. Remind me that you are the most important person in my life and give me the strength to bear ridicule that may come my way from serving you. In your name I pray, Amen. St. Peter Chrysologus, pray for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment