This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Here I am.


Lectionary: 388
Reading 1
Responsorial Psalm
Gospel
St. Francis Solano

"Whom shall I send? Who will go for us?"
"Here I am," I said; "send me!"
Someone once told me I was the perfect mother for one of my children and that is why God gave him to me. He knew that the needs of this particular child would be best met by me. This woman had an adult son who just got out of drug rehab. She felt that she too was the best mother for her child and that's why God had given him to her, along with all of his challenges and needs. 
One more thing: Motherhood is clearly an answer to a call. Just as Isaiah said yes to God's call, every day moms say 'yes'. We say 'yes' as we cook, clean, counsel, drive, heal, referee, admonish, and above all, love. In the middle of the mayhem, remind yourself of the call, and he will give you the grace to answer 'yes' over and over again. 
Prayer: Dear God, I often feel as Isaiah did, unworthy of the task before me. Give me the grace to answer your call to motherhood with conviction, fortitude, and above all, love and mercy. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen. St. Francis Solano, pray for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment