This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Mistaken itdentity.


Lectionary: 398 and 603
Reading 1
Responsorial Psalm
Gospel
St. Mary Magdalene

Today's gospel features two cases of mistaken identity. Mary was so busy looking for Jesus, that she didn't recognize him when he was standing in front of her. And Mary is often mistaken for the sinful woman who anointed the feet of Jesus in Luke 7:36-50.
One more thing: Christians can get so caught up in 'looking for Jesus' that we ignore him all around us. Jesus is present in your child who's hungry, your teen who's sad or heartbroken, or your kid who just lost a baseball tournament and is cranky. Jesus resides under your roof every day. And as for Mary, she probably doesn't care that people mistakenly think she was of ill repute. She is busy serving her Lord just as she always has.
Prayer: Dear Lord, I can get so busy looking Christian that I forget to be Christian. Help me to recognize you in everyone around me and to serve them just as I would serve you. In your precious name I pray, Amen. St. Mary Magdalene, pray for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment