This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Hands of the potter.


Lectionary: 404 and 607
Reading 1
Responsorial Psalm
Gospel
St. Martha

Martha was a woman I can relate to. I love when Jesus tells her, "Martha, Martha, you are anxious and worried about many things." I find Jesus telling me the same thing often. But really, who isn't? There is the household to run (Martha knew about that), and the family to feed, carpool, homework, bills, etc. Martha carried the weight of it all on her shoulders (I'm pretty sure she was the oldest child!), and Jesus reminds her as he reminds us, that stuff isn't what is most important.
One more thing: Martha isn't shy about coming to Jesus with her anxiety and worries. She is terribly bold toward Christ when Lazarus dies, almost scolding him. She is a woman with real emotions and a real relationship with her Lord. Jesus wants us to come to him with everything just like Martha did. He will never have the chance to mold us into the person he knows we can be, if we don't come to him in relationship like Martha.
Prayer: Lord Jesus, I too have many worries and anxieties that are part of being a mom. I give all these to you Jesus, and I ask that you help me to focus on my relationship with you and my children, always keeping in mind what is really important. In your precious name I pray, Amen. St. Martha, pray for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment