This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Temples.


Feast of the dedication of Lateran Basilica in Rome

Today's readings focus on the temple. These readings honor the feast of the dedication of St. John Lateran in Rome. Most people think St. Peter's is the Pope's home church, but the Lateran Basilica is the cathedral for the diocese of Rome and the world's first cathedral. 
One more thing: I love the way that the lectionary takes me on a journey. The scriptures are not put together randomly, but weave a message to me over time. Today's theme of the temple follows up on the thoughts of last week. There are three main images the readings bring forth: the temple in Jerusalem, Christ as the sacred temple, and each of us as temples of God. As temples of God, we are obliged to live as though he dwells in us, model that life for others, and not lead others to sin. All the things I reflected upon last week come together in this one reality: God lives in me! 
Prayer: Father in heaven, I am so grateful that you chose to make me your dwelling place. Help me to live as though I hold a precious treasure inside me. Let your presence in me shine forth in all I say and do, so that I can be the mother and person you want me to be. In Jesus' name we pray, Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment