This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Monday, November 8, 2010

Setting a good example.

Lectionary: 491
Reading 1
Responsorial Psalm
Gospel
Blessed John Duns Scotus

Younger children will always model the behavior of the older ones. Setting a good example isn't just helpful, it's biblical. Jesus tells us today that leading  someone into sin, especially one less mature in their spiritual walk, is a grave sin for the one setting the example.
One more thing: Being an occasion for sin for someone else is wrong. One practical way I can teach this to my children is by encouraging modesty of dress. Leading another to think impure thoughts is wrong. Therefore, I'm pretty clear when I communicate to my children what is appropriate dress and what is not. Of course, I have to model this myself or I risk being a hypocrite.
Prayer: Lord Jesus, thank you for showing me how to live. Let me never lead another into sin by my words or actions. Help me to set a good example for my children by always being pure in thought and deed. In your name I pray, Amen. Blessed John Duns, pray for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment