This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Monday, November 22, 2010

Surplus.

Lectionary: 503
Reading 1
Responsorial Psalm
Gospel
St. Cecilia

The widow in today's gospel gave all she had. Though the amount was meager, it meant so much more than the offerings of the wealthy.
One more thing: I've been giving God my surplus lately. No, I'm not talking about my money, I'm talking about my time. Time is my most precious commodity these days. Most moms find themselves in the same boat. I've been justifying this by telling myself I'm giving in other places; doing God's work in something else. Really, though, I've been skimping on the time I give to the Lord and to him alone. As Advent approaches, I'm renewing my promise to spend time with God each day in prayer and scripture. Won't you join me?
Prayer: Father in heaven, I'm sorry for holding back and only giving to you when I had extra. Help me to live out my promise to spend time with you every day. Bless me and help me to make this Advent a time of spiritual growth for myself and my family. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen. St. Cecilia, pray for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment