This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Need.

Lectionary: 490
Reading 1
Responsorial Psalm
Gospel
Sts. Elizabeth and Zacharias

St. Paul has learned the secret of being well fed or going hungry, living in abundance and being in need. While circumstances change, one thing remains the same: that Jesus Christ died for me to give me new everlasting life through him. His love never changes.
One more thing: In the gospel, Christ tells us to make friends with our material things. The catch is, we are to be their master and be good stewards of our treasure here on earth. Only by showing that we can be good stewards with our earthly possessions, will we be rewarded with heavenly ones. Like St. Paul, I have lived with meager amounts and with abundance. Somehow, God always provides me with exactly what I need when I need it. Many times, it has been through the generosity of strangers that he shows himself. I need to make sure I am an example of that same generosity to others, and model giving to my kids.
Prayer: Dear Lord, thank you for providing me with the things I need here on earth. Help me to be aware of those around me in need and to give generously to them. Make me a model of giving for my children. In your precious name I pray, Amen. Sts. Elizabeth and Zacharias, pray for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment