This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Measure for measure




Lectionary: 320


Do you ever find yourself saying to your kids, "I don't want to hear it!" to whatever excuse or elaborate story they are coming up with to justify forgotten homework, broken furniture, wrecked car, spilled milk? I find Jesus speaking to my heart in this warning, "Anyone who has ears to hear ought to hear." Because what usually follows "I don't want to hear it!" is a rash judgement. And Jesus is clear on this matter too. "The measure with which you measure will be measured out to you." If you ever have sad little eyes that go sulking away or teen-age feet that stomp and slam, think about your ears. Did you really take the time to listen? Even if you heard the same song and dance before, did you really listen to it before? Did you open your heart and listen with your heart before you passed judgement?


One more thing: Today is the feast of St. Thomas Aquinas. He is always pictured with the dove at his ear showing how he was inspired by the Holy Spirit. Today when you are tired of hearing all the mundane things of life, imagine the Holy Spirit whispering in your ear just as He did for St. Thomas. You never know what you might hear if you really listen!


Prayer: Dear Lord, Help me to listen to my family with an open heart and a spirit of mercy. Be there whispering in my other ear, reminding me of the love and forgiveness you have for me. Amen. St. Thomas Aquinas, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment