This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Calming the storm.


Lectionary: 322


Boy, do I feel like Jesus must have sometimes. Just when I try to steal away for a few minutes with a cup of tea or even a potty break, all heck breaks loose! Take, for instance, the fight breaking out in my game room at this very moment! I'm sure the kids will come running to me any minute just like the disciples did in the boat. Isn't it wonderful, though, that in times of trouble, they come to you? As a parent, you would never turn them away. And Jesus won't turn you away either. He might have been a little irritated at being awakened ("Do you not yet have faith?) but he was immediately attentive to His children. 

One more thing: David's domestic church is in total disarray in the first reading, but he falls on his knees and begs for mercy. In the midst of his storm, God is there. God will be there for you too, even in the whirling winds of family life. 

Prayer: Lord Jesus, keep vigil with me! When the swells of the world start to overtake me, step in and calm the storm within me so that I can live the vocation you have chosen for me to the fullest. In your name I pray. Amen. 


No comments:

Post a Comment