This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

October 7, 2009 Our Lady of the Rosary

Today's reading finds Jonah bellyaching over God's mercy. So many times I find myself thinking Jonah's same thoughts. I mean, really, who thinks the prodigal son or the lost lamb deserves that much attention. God's plan is hard to understand in today's "What about me?" society. I take comfort that even one of God's chosen ones felt the same things I do sometimes. It tells me it is entirely human to feel that way when a stray sibling or a goofy coworker gets a little attention. But it also tells me that God is far beyond us. His mercy is so unfathomable that we simply don't get why he makes such a fuss.

That is comforting to me when I goof up. I'm so glad our God has a love for me (and you!) that I can't even understand. He really desires me to be with him, even when I turn away. And he will run after me and be there when I'm ready to turn back to Him. Our God is not petty or jealous or vengeful. That is what makes the prayer that Jesus teaches in the gospel today so beautiful. When we pray, we are to be so completely dependent on our God, calling him Father. Have you hugged your heavenly Father today?

One way to show God a little extra love and devotion today is to pray the rosary, in honor of the feast of Our Lady of the Rosary. If your kids have trouble staying attentive, then start with a decade. Or, have them color a picture of each mystery while the rest of the family recites the rosary. I even know of a mom who made a rosary out of powdered and chocolate mini donuts and whoever led the prayer got to eat the donut! What a great way to pray after dinner. Hey, whatever works! Let the little children come!

No comments:

Post a Comment