This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Thursday, October 1, 2009

Feast of St. Therese

For today's readings, see link to daily readings.

I know, it's been a while since my last post. I've been a little busy. But the nagging (and I mean that in the most reverent way) voice in my heart and head won't let me be. So here I am with a burning desire to share with other Catholic moms today's scripture and feast day.

Today is the feast of St. Therese. What is remarkable to me about her life is how young she was when she felt the call of Christ. They say she was a bit spoiled and melodramatic, and yet, she came to an intimacy with Christ that allowed her to deny herself for others. Her little way of offering every act and sacrifice, no matter how small, as a means to bring her to heaven, inspires me. As a mom, I can feel like what I'm doing is such a waste of my talents. I mean, I could be out saving the world and here I am changing diapers and settling squabbles. St. Therese's little way puts all that into perspective. If my goal in life is to get myself and my children into heaven, following her little way gives me a means to do it.

In today's first reading, Ezra reads to the multitudes: men, women, and children old enough to understand. What age is a child old enough to understand the word of God? Who are we to say? Therese was very young when she came to know Christ intimately. The scripture that inspired her little way was when Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these." (Matt 19:13-15) She knew that becoming greater was not the key, but to become smaller so that the arms of Christ could pick her up and lift her to heaven. Her holiness came about in the small ways; ways not even perceptible to others.

How did I tried to bring my little ones to Christ today? Well, my favorite way is through food. Tonight's dessert was French plum cake in honor of St. Therese and I splurged on a beautiful dozen red roses to commemorate her feast. At supper I shared with the kids the story of St. Therese's intersession on my behalf for their dad's conversion. We talked about the little ways we can be holy in our daily life. My daughter piped up that we could be nice to each other in the family. We all agreed that would be a miracle that just might get us all into heaven!

No comments:

Post a Comment