This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Today's Readings.

St. Josephine Bakhita

In yesterday's reading, Christ sets the record straight on the observance of the Jewish law. He clearly tells the Pharisees that its not what the disciples are eating or how they eat it that makes them good or bad. In today's Gospel, he continues to emphasize the point with his followers. It's not what goes in, but what comes out of us that is what is important.
One more thing: My preschooler went on a bit of a hunger strike over the last few weeks. My husband assured me that all our other kids went through that phase too, but still I worried about it. In fact, I observed over the last few days that I'm a  little bit like the Pharisees sometimes, getting caught up in the human ritual, the mom mantra of "Wash your hands, eat your veggies, brush your teeth..." I really need to focus on their heart and what is coming out of my little people. I need to listen the their words a little more, and observe their actions. When their 'love' diet is deficient, I need to bolster them up and feed them some love so they can share it with others. Oh, and  my husband was right, my little guy is eating again.
Prayer: Dear Lord, you teach us that it is what is on the inside that counts. Help me to focus on the heart food for myself and my family so that we are spiritually healthy and reflect your love for us to others. In your precious name I pray, Amen. St. Josephine Bakhita, pray for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment