This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Mother Mary.

Today's Readings.

Feast of the Presentation of the Lord

"The child's father and mother were amazed at what was said about him;"
Simeon foretold of the greatness and the suffering of Christ, but I'm not sure Mary could grasp what he was saying. I think she was probably like I was as a new mom: sleep deprived, hormonal, and lacking in confidence about how to raise this new wonder. It reminds me of the Christmas song, "Mary, did you know?"
One more thing: I had a conference with my preschooler's teachers today. I too was amazed at what they said about him. I didn't know he could cut a circle. I didn't know he could draw a person. It makes me wonder about all the other things I don't know, like what God has planned for him. I think any mother has her heart pierced many times because all children will undergo some hardship. During those times I seek refuge with Mary knowing she too has suffered as a mother. I also try to remember all the moments when my heart is bursting with joy.
Prayer: Dear God, thank you for sending Mary to be an example of motherhood to me. Help me to be like her as I raise my children: gentle, kind, full of love, and obedient to your will. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen. Mother Mary, pray for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment