This devotional is uniquely Catholic in that the meditation is based on the daily readings for the Mass, called the Lectionary. But you don't have to be Catholic to find a home here! Click on 'Today's reading' for the lectionary link to read the bible readings, then click the back button and spend a few minutes with the meditation. Relax! This is your time, well deserved, much needed, and holy. Let all the things you "should be doing" melt away and bask in the presence of your God who loves you!

Before we begin, let us pray,

Father, you created me and put me on earth for a purpose. Jesus, you died for me and called me to complete your work. Holy Spirit, you help me to carry out the work for which I was created and called. In your presence and name - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - I begin my meditation.

Monday, September 12, 2011

Prayers for the world.

Today's Readings

Most Holy Name of the Blessed Virgin Mary


I'm pretty sure that the church doesn't look at current events when it sets the lectionary. God in His providential wisdom knows just what we need to hear when we need to hear it. Today's readings speak mostly to our need to pray for our leaders, our country, and our world. Remembering September 11 can lead me to despair, however, today's scriptures give me hope. Hope that prayer will lead us to a peaceful world. Hope that even government leaders, like the centurion, can do the right thing no matter what their faith. Hope that the Lord will hear our prayer.
One more thing: The feast of the Most Holy Name of the Blessed Virgin Mary was extended to the whole church after the king of Poland entrusted himself to the Blessed Virgin Mary and defeated the advancing Muslim army. Join me in praying in a special way to Mary today for her intercession for a peaceful world and a peaceful home.
Prayer: Dear Lord, thank you for this reminder of hope. When the trouble so of the world overwhelm me, remind me of the hope I have in you and in eternal salvation. In your precious name I pray, Amen. Most Blessed Virgin Mary, pray for peace in our world and in our home.

No comments:

Post a Comment